Tuesday, March 22, 2011

an inking experiment



This was just supposed to be a warm-up drawing of Deadpool (still haven't gotten him out of my system apparently), but it ended up taking most of the day.

I've been wanting to play around with different inking styles lately, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. I took some inspiration and techniques from really great artists like SEAN MURPHY, DECLAN SHALVEY (big ups to Ireland), and RAPHAEL ALBUQUERQUE. Even though ink is a more permanent medium than pencils, it's somehow more liberating and relaxing. I got comfortable pretty quickly, which is great because I wanna start doing this more often.

Inked with brushes, brush pens, crow quill pens, and some white paint. I'm learning to love the white paint. Halftones applied in Photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm gonna try using this kind of style on our next Independents short. I want to try to marry this and the cleaner style I used on the last story we did.

    ReplyDelete