Wednesday, June 27, 2012

BROKEN PIECES #3 Cover Process

Here are my cover pencils for Broken Pieces #3, out in a few weeks! I've done a few covers for Aspen at this point, but this is the first one I really had any input on conceptually, so it was awesome to work on. Mark (BP writer) and Vince (editor) gave me a few ideas to run with and I did a few layout sketches to show them first.

 After showing these to colorist Peter Steigerwald, the guys wanted to see a combination of layouts 1 and 2, which I resisted at first. I always immediately think combining two layouts is going to be the death knell for any composition. But I tried it anyway, and it ended up producing the stronger layout in the end, proving I'll always have a lot to learn at this.
And here's the awesome finished piece! I'm really excited for this book to come out- it was a real learning experience and I hope you'll check it out! I'm already hard at work on issue 4...

Head over to the Aspen blog http://aspenmltinc.blogspot.com/ and check out some work-in-progress shots of the coloring process posted last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment